Skip to content
NEW - Award Winning DPD Shipping Options Are Now Live
NEW - Award Winning DPD Shipping Options Are Now Live
Your Bearded Dragon's Diet - Why variety is key! - Reptiles By Post

Your Bearded Dragon's Diet - Why variety is key!

Why is a varied diet important for bearded dragons?

Bearded dragons are omnivorous reptiles that require a diverse diet to thrive. A varied diet ensures they receive all the essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals necessary for their growth and overall health. Feeding them a monotonous diet can lead to nutritional deficiencies and health problems.

What should be included in a bearded dragon's diet?

A balanced bearded dragon diet should consist of both animal-based and plant-based foods. Approximately 60% of their diet should be made up of vegetables, fruits, and leafy greens. These can include collard greens, kale, mustard greens, dandelion greens, bell peppers, squash, and a the occasional mix of berries. The remaining 40% should consist of protein-rich insects such as crickets, mealworms, dubia roaches, and silkworms.

How often should bearded dragons be fed?

Young bearded dragons should be fed twice a day, while adult dragons can be fed once a day. It's important to monitor their appetite and adjust the feeding schedule accordingly. Avoid overfeeding, as obesity can lead to various health issues.

What are the benefits of a varied diet for bearded dragons?

1. Nutritional balance: A varied diet ensures that bearded dragons receive a wide range of nutrients, promoting overall health and vitality.

2. Preventing boredom: Offering different foods keeps bearded dragons mentally stimulated and prevents them from getting bored with their diet.

3. Preventing selective eating: Bearded dragons can become picky eaters if they are consistently fed the same foods. A varied diet encourages them to eat a wider range of foods.

In conclusion, providing a varied diet is crucial for the health and well-being of bearded dragons. By offering a mix of vegetables, fruits, leafy greens, and protein-rich insects, owners can ensure their bearded dragons receive all the necessary nutrients. 

Previous article Bearded Dragon Care Guide